The Police in Rivers State says it has arrested a suspected serial killer who tried to strangled a girl in a hotel in Rumuokoro axis of the state yesterday night,September 17,2019.The spokesperson of Rivers state Police command,Nnamdi Omoni made this revelation while speaking on a live radio programme monitored by Revelation Agents in Port Harcourt Today,September 18,2019.
DSP Nnamdi Omoni explained that the girl raised an alarm when the man tried to allegedly strangle him.He stated that the suspect is in Police custody.
Meanwhile scores of women in Port Harcourt Today staged a peaceful protest to Rivers state Government house demanding an end to killing of ladies.The leader of the protesters Rita Mali demanded an apology from the Police for allegedly calling ladies who were killed prostitutes.
The Rivers State Police command also confirmed that about eight ladies have been killed so far in the state.
Read Statement From Commissioner Of Police In Rivers State
PRESS BRIEFING BY THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, RIVERS STATE, CP MUSTAPHA DANDAURA ON THE RISING CASES OF MURDER IN HOTELS.
Good afternoon Gentlemen of the Press, let me thank you specially, for your
support in the fight against criminality in the State. Your modest
contributions in your reportage and by extension your coverage of the serial
killings in Hotels; a development which is disturbing and giving us concern,
hence this Briefing.
2. As a command, we will continue to do our utmost best to tackle these
Criminalities as they come. We will not rest until the end result is achieved.
3. Recall that in recent time the command has had to contend with the menace of cultism and cult related killings in the State, especially in the fringe Communities of Ogoni in Khana and Gokhana LGAs, having dislodged and dislocated them from the East/West and Elele/Owerri Roads. Clearly we have dealt a fatal blow on them, hence the people of Ogoni and other Communities ravaged by the Cult war can now heave a sigh of relief and smile as better days are ahead. This war I can assure you is still raging and in the shortest possible time, all the criminal elements in the State will be history.
4. I have the mandate to fight all manner of crimes in the State and to force all criminal elements out of town. I sincerely promise not to let you down as we soldier on, in our renewed commitment to tackle them headlong and restore back the peoples’ confidence in us, as we make the State safe and secure.
5. 5. Today, I have called you here, essentially to express
our worry over the mindless killings in Hotels in the State; a development
which is giving us concern and the measures we have put in place to arrest this
seemingly disturbing situation.
6. The Command condemns in the strongest terms, these serial killings, hence we call on all people of good will to rise to the occasion and join the Police as we kick out these monsters.
7. It could be recalled that in the wake of this attack, and bothered by the development in Port Harcourt, I summoned all Hotel owners under the aegis of Nigerian Hotels Association ( being the Umbrella body) where we had an interface and I underscored the need for synergy between Hotels and Law Enforcement Agencies. Guided by that, I came up with a strong Directive to the Executive members of the Association, to prevail on their members to install Circuit Camera Television (CCTV) in all Hotels, Guest Houses and Motels across the State and gave them an ultimatum of one month within which to do so or face sanction.
8. Consequently, a Taskforce was constituted for that purpose with the clear mandate to enforce the Directive and bring defaulting Hotels to book, including sealing same for Compounding Felony.
The Taskforce is headed by the Assistant Commissioner of Police, Operations, ACP Valentine Olumese, with members made up of persons from the Association, DSS and Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
Members of the Taskforce include:
1. ACP Valentine Olumese – AC Operations – 08037080740
2. CSP Ahijo Lawson – O/C ACU – 08052513939
3. CSP Victor Perebogha – O/C SIB – 08033544926
4. CSP Harrison Akpoguma—O/C Homicide — 08033991781
5. DSP Nnamdi Omoni – PPRO (Sec) – 08033396538
6. Mr. Akinnayajo Henry – 08036727379
7. Mr. Amado Godspower – 08037910931
8. Mr. Koko Napoleon — 08063889961
9. Mr. John Kpai — 08033124990
The Taskforce was immediately given the mandate, to among other things enforce the following security measures, to wit:
1. Compulsory Installation of functional CCTV Cameras in Hotels, Guest Houses and Motels to cover the Reception, Corridors and Entrances.
2. Strict compliance to Check-in and Check-out Procedures (Guests confirmed, Phone Details, Identity Cards, Registration of Visitors).
3. Training of Hotel Staff on Security and Safety Tips, in partnership with the Police and other Security Agencies.
4. Patrol of Hotels by the Police, especially the Divisional Anti-Crime Patrols to be seriously engaged by the Hoteliers.
5. All Hotels with swimming Pools to ensure that competent life guards are employed and always available to monitor the activities at the Pool and for pools to remain closed when no life guards are available, as any death from the Pool will be treated as premeditated Murder.
6. All Cabs operating in and out of Hotels, including Airport cabs must be properly profiled for the safety of Guests.
7. Short time Guests or patronage should be discouraged or minimized as they provide the breeding ground for perpetrating crimes in Hotels.
8. All Hotels, Guest Houses and Motels must belong to the Association and subscribe to these security guidelines.
9. Guests Report to be submitted to the Police Intelligence
Bureau at the Divisions or Headquarters weekly.
10. All Check-out Guest will be required to adhere strictly to the Hotel Check-in and Check-out procedures, including ensuring that their Rooms are given due security clearance before leaving.
11. The above are the unified Check-in and Check-out Procedures as directed by me and there was a preponderant willingness shown by all to implement same.
Regrettably, it has come to my notice and utter shock that some Hotels are yet to comply with my Directive hence, my order to arrest, the Manager, Receptionist and Desk Officers in the two Hotels where two separate Murders were recorded. They will be Investigated and if found culpable will be charged for culpable Homicide.
Today, I want to reinforce our commitment towards tackling this menace and assure you that we have come to the end of these monstrous acts by desperate Cultists and Ritualists.
So far, we have made substantial progress in the Investigation of these killings. In one of the cases the actual Murder Suspect has been arrested and he is making useful confessions. He would have been paraded today but we are still working on some clues given by him that may further aid our Investigations.
I want to appeal to the good people of Rivers State to remain calm. The command is on top of it, we will spear no efforts in dealing with these criminal elements.
Let me once again thank the Press for their roles as the watchdogs of the
Command. We will continue to do our best to deliver quality Policing to the
State. In the same vein, I want to seek your collaboration and support as we do
this business together. This wicked attempt at undermining our efforts will be
and the brains behind them, shall be shamed publicly, as they face the full weight of the Law.
The public is further enjoined to discountenance and disregard some sponsored publications in social and conventional media, intended to over reach the Command. As at the last count we have recorded only eight verifiable cases of Hotel Murders and they are receiving adequate attention for which the findings will be made public in due course.
Thanks and God bless.
CP MUSTAPHA DANDAURA
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE
RIVERS STATE COMMAND